Thursday, January 5, 2023

Books recommendations and life update!

Hey everyone! I hope you are doing well. It's been a long time since I've updated the blog... 

As some of you may know, I've been pretty busy with grad school, currently completing my doctorate degree. To be honest, with grad school, practice, and work, life has been a little bit complicated. My reading time has been basically non existent; which makes me really sad. But, during the summer and Christmas break, it's my time to read for fun! Although, I always try to read 30 minutes before bed; it takes me forever to finish a book, but at least it keeps me reading (for fun) during the semester. This year, I decided to stop feeling bad about not reading "enough". I mean, if I only read one book in the entire year, that's enough. At least for me; and that's what matters the most.

(Look at my library at home! I love it so much!)

In the last few years, I've been keeping my reading challenge with 12 books, keeping in mind that I would like to read at least one book every month. And if I can't do that, like I said, I still have summer and Christmas break. Also, I've been dealing with a lot of difficult/negative news lately. But I'm blessed with the love and support of my husband, the rest of my family, and friends. And reading helps; it helps me a lot! And talking about books too :) So, like I said in my last post, I'm a little bit more active on Instagram. Go find me there and let's talk about books! ;)

Last but not least, I would like to recommend a couple of books I've enjoyed reading lately:

The Last Cuentista by Donna Barba Higuera
I mean, is this even a surprise?! I've been talking about this book since I read it back in August 2021. I just can't stop recommending it! It's one of my all-time favorite books! Besides the stunning cover, the story and the characters are so beautifully written. It broke my heart and I found myself sobbing a couple of times. Trust me, IT'S SO SO SO GOOD! I already re-read it but... I'll probably read it again soon!

A Lot Like Adiós by Alexis Daria
Do you remember when I recommended You Had Me at Hola in Our top 10 favorite books we read in 2020 post? Well, this is the second book in the Primas of Power series. I just can't wait for the next one! If you are craving to read an adult romance, this is the book for you. ;)

Iveliz Explains It All by Andrea Beatriz Arango
If you really know me, you know I have a soft spot for verse novels. Besides, I'm a psychology student, so anything related to mental health, you know you can send it my way! This book is amazing and it deserves all the stars in the world because 5 out of 5 is not enough. There are many important topics discussed in this book, but I want to highlight the mental health representation. I could tell the author took in consideration a therapist’s feedback when it came to the parts including therapy sessions and everything about the medication. This topic was handled very carefully and I really appreciated that. Also, the Puerto Rican representation made my day! The food, the popular sayings, all the references, EVERYTHING. Es un 20/10.

Long Way Down by Jason Reynolds
Yes, another verse novel! (Sorry not sorry). Honestly, I have no words when it comes to describing this book. I read it in just a couple of hours. It was supposed to be a week long buddy read with one of my friends but, we both finished reading it the same day. It is one of those books that you just can’t stop reading. I highly recommend it! Especially if you love verse novels.

Skeletina and the In-Between World by Susie Jaramillo
I love this book so much! I was obviously intrigued about the way the topics of dreams, death, fear, and nightmares are handled in the story. And guess what? In a virtual book presentation, the author told us she consulted with a psychologist. That meant a lot to me because I know kids (and adults) will benefit a lot from it. The book is available in English and Spanish.

Let me know if you have read any of them :) I wish you all a happy and blessed year! Happy reading!


***********************************************************

¡Hola! Espero que estén bien. Ha pasado mucho tiempo desde que actualicé el blog...

Como algunas personas saben, he estado súper ocupada completando mi doctorado. Para ser honesta, con la universidad, la práctica y el trabajo, la vida ha sido un poco complicada. Mi tiempo de lectura ha sido básicamente inexistente; lo que me pone muy triste. Pero, durante las vacaciones de verano y Navidad, ¡es mi momento de leer por diversión! Aunque siempre trato de leer 30 minutos antes de acostarme; me toma una eternidad terminar un libro, pero al menos me mantiene leyendo (por diversión) durante el semestre. Este año, decidí dejar de sentirme mal por no leer "lo suficiente". O sea, si solo leo un libro en todo el año, eso es suficiente. Al menos para mi; y eso es lo que más importa.

En los últimos años he mantenido mi reto de lectura con 12 libros, teniendo en cuenta que me gustaría leer al menos un libro cada mes. Y si no puedo hacer eso, como dije, todavía tengo las vacaciones de verano y Navidad para tratar de hacerlo. Además, he estado lidiando con muchas noticias difíciles/negativas últimamente. Pero estoy bendecida con el amor y el apoyo de mi esposo, el resto de mi familia y amigos. Y la lectura ayuda; ¡me ayuda mucho! Y hablar de libros también :) Así que, como dije en mi última publicación, estoy un poco más activa en Instagram. ¡Vayan a buscarme allí y hablemos de libros! ;)

Por último, pero no menos importante, me gustaría recomendar un par de libros que he disfrutado leyendo últimamente:

The Last Cuentista por Donna Barba Higuera
O sea, ¿acaso es una sorpresa? He estado hablando de este libro desde que lo leí en agosto de 2021. ¡No puedo dejar de recomendarlo! ¡Es uno de mis libros favoritos de todos los tiempos! Además de la impresionante portada, la historia y los personajes están muy bien escritos. Me rompió el corazón y me encontré llorando un par de veces. Confíen en mí, ¡ES TAN, TAN Y TAN BUENO! Ya lo releí pero... ¡Probablemente lo vuelva a leer pronto!

A Lot Like Adiós por Alexis Daria
¿Recuerdan cuando recomendé You Had Me at Hola en la publicación de Nuestros 10 libros favoritos del 2020? Bueno, este es el segundo libro de la serie Primas of Power. ¡No puedo esperar al próximo libro! Si estás anhelando leer un romance para adultos, este es el libro para ti. ;)

Iveliz Explains It All por Andrea Beatriz Arango
Si realmente me conoces, sabes que tengo una debilidad por las novelas en verso. Además, soy estudiante de psicología, así que cualquier cosa relacionada con la salud mental, ¡saben que va directo hacia mi! Este libro es increíble y se merece todas las estrellas del mundo porque 5 de 5 no es suficiente. Hay muchos temas importantes discutidos en este libro, pero quiero destacar el de salud mental. Me di cuenta de que la autora tomó en consideración la retroalimentación de algún terapeuta cuando se trataba de las partes que incluyen las sesiones de terapia y todo lo relacionado con la medicación. Este tema se manejó con mucho cuidado y realmente lo aprecié demasiado. Además, ¡la representación puertorriqueña me alegró el día! La comida, los dichos populares, las referencias, TODO. Es un 20/10.

Long Way Down por Jason Reynolds
¡Sí, otra novela en verso! (Sorry not sorry). Sinceramente, no tengo palabras a la hora de describir este libro. Lo leí en apenas un par de horas. Se suponía que sería una lectura de una semana con una de mis amigas, pero ambas lo terminamos de leer el mismo día. Es uno de esos libros que no puedes parar de leer. ¡Lo súper recomiendo! Sobre todo si te gustan las novelas en verso.

Skeletina and the In-Between World por Susie Jaramillo
¡Amo tanto este libro! Obviamente me intrigaba la forma en que se manejan en la historia los temas de los sueños, la muerte, el miedo y las pesadillas. ¿Y adivina qué? En una presentación virtual del libro, la autora nos contó que consultó con una psicóloga. Eso significó mucho para mí porque sé que la niñez (y las personas adultas) se beneficiarán mucho. El libro está disponible en inglés y español.

Déjame saber si has leído alguno de ellos :) ¡Les deseo un feliz y bendecido año! ¡Sigamos leyendo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! ♥